The following post may offend some readers. Reader discretion is advised.
As I dressed my four year old for preschool today, she reminded me that they were to wear green for St. Patrick's Day. It got me thinking of that saying "Luck of the Irish" and that got me thinking "Now just what the heck does that mean?!" Really now, just how lucky are the Irish? Sorry Shaun Taylor if your happen to read this (from what I've read + pics, I know Ireland is beautiful.) Ireland is an island, right? All by itself, out in the ocean. A-lone. One would assume then that the weather there would be much like neighboring England, rainy, gray and dreary. If that's not bad enough, they've got leprechauns. Just how much Guinness does one have to drink to be seeing little men dressed in green suits and top hats at the end of rainbows with pots of gold they will not share? Come on, little men, pots of gold, fine. But rainbows in Ireland? Does the sun even have a chance to shine between the clouds of gray dreariness? Really now. And one last thing about Irish is the foul temper of some if not many Irish boil over with. I have an Irish friend and believe me, there is nothing lucky about that. Now if they could just convince those little men to hand over the gold, then I'd say that's lucky. You can bet I'd swipe it if I had the chance. Well, I'm all done pondering now. Sorry again if any of you reading are of Irish decent. I don't mean to offend. But perhaps you could enlighten me and set me straight on the "luckiness" of the Irish. Cheers!
3 comments:
Luckiness of the Irish?
You can't get Guinness anywhere that is as good as on the Island. The old saying is - "once it crosses the water it's never the same" stands correct in my books.
Oh, yeah, luckiness... The fact they get to drink that much good Guinness that they do indeed see Leprechauns. ;-)
My mother's maiden name was McCarty. The Irish in my blood is pretty thin, but I'd say it's lucky that my descendants might have red hair. (Noah did, for about a month, before he lost his "first hair" and it all came back in blond. Maybe he will again someday? Hmm. Not holding my breath.)
Maybe the luck has something to do with the lush green--is it all four-leaf clovers, or something?
I'd say I'd be lucky if I ever got to visit Ireland.
Happy Patty's Day, Dawn. (P.S. Did you know that this is one holiday that was actually Christian, taken over by paganism, and not vice-versa?)
Talena, I did actually know that. Saint Patrick (previously a slave) converted to Christianity and went to Ireland to evangelize as the first missionary there. I'd love to visit Ireland or any European country across the pond. Maybe one day...
Post a Comment