I stopped putting away laundry just now to quickly jot this down, so please do read on...
Thinking about how our kids dress opened yet another door for me to peer into our developing life's philosophy. When readying our kids for school this fall,(the whole institution of which I am really questioning the benefits of vs. home schooling...I'll save that for another entry) the thought occurred to me that though all of the necessary school supplies had been purchased and checked off our class lists, we'd neglected to purchase any new school clothes. Shoes yes, pants, shirts and the like, no. Now, our kids have more than enough clothing filling their dressers, closets and even the "next season" bins in the basement storage room. And yet I panicked thinking they'd be the only ones without new outfits for their first day of school. We'd recently received hand-me-downs from friends, all of which were in great condition, fitting both of our older kids perfectly so that settled my little brain down for a bit.
But I have to admit, it did make me question why I really thought they'd be devastated about not having brand new store bought clothes for that all important first day of school. Neither of them had even asked! My husband reminded me that kids at that age don't really notice what each other are wearing, let alone if it's new or not. Heck, for the most part, they don't even really care what they themselves are wearing. When I was a kid, purchasing new clothing for school was an "event". (Not that we went on a big shopping spree, usually only A pair of jeans, maybe a couple of shirts, and shoes of course.) But again, hand-me-downs made up the majority of my wardrobe and actually still do.
It's silly how as parents we inadvertently pass on all sorts of wrong expectations and social acceptables. I'm glad I hadn't mentioned it to the kids amidst my own inner toilings, and they were thrilled at the "handy-down" outfits I'd put together for them for their big day. And I'm glad too, because anyone out there who has kids knows that those brand new outfits don't stay new for long when kids play hard as mine do. (Grass stains on the first day indicate a great deal of fun!) Don't get me wrong, everyone needs and likes to have something new once in a while, and we do make those purchases when necessary, but when I scramble to find places to put away the folded laundry, you know they've got enough!
Lord help me to remember to keep things simple, to appreciate what YOU have blessed us with and to keep my eyes on what's really important in this life.
6 comments:
Great post--thanks for the reminder to keep things simple and not give in to those unnecessary social expectations! I find myself having those same panicky feelings every now and then when it feels like we're not keeping up with the proverbial Joneses.
Hey Dawn, really great entry today. I like the part where you said your kids didn't even ask for new clothes and were perfectly fine with the outfits you prepared for them. It's so easy nowadays to get caught up in the secular advertising of tv, movies, magazines and the net. Cudos for you for reflecting on this topic in your ever so insightful way of writing.
I do hope your little ones have a great time at school, I sometimes miss the routine and the learning of new things that school had in store.
I was brought up wearing a uniform in Australia and thus the new clothes were never really an issue. Uniforms makes things a whole lot easier, there is nothing to be one up on anyone because you all look the same.
Love and hugs to you and your precious family,
Tammy xxxooo
Hey, Dawn, No new school clothes here, either! I bought Jude all new clothes for this size in June, thinking he wouldn't need them till fall--boy, was I wrong. So, even though the pants have been worn a few times, they're new enough for me! (And him!)
Jo- It is a lot of pressure society puts on parents to "keep up".
Tammy- I've always thot uniforms would be great--you'd avoid that whole "I have nothing to wear" (full closet) bit!
Talena- I like to score on the whole buy-it-on-sale thing but there've been times (not many...small kids ha ha) when the kids have outgrown the new garment before its appropriate season actually arrives. Darn. How's Jude enjoying school?
Hi Dawn - glad to see you posting again - I've missed your blog entries! My kids aren't in school yet, but the clothes thing is already an issue - I can see a bit of "mommy oneupmanship" in myself and others. Visiting church or a playgroup and there's always one immaculately put together child who looks so adorable, and the outfit that looked so cute on my daughter at home suddenly seems a little shabby. I find a lot of second-hand stuff for my kids and it is usually cute, stylish and in great shape, and they do wear it out too fast to justify the expense of new stuff. It's my own heart that has to be addressed, in wanting to compare all the time.
We started Pre-K at home this fall and it's been pretty fun. I'm determined to homeschool - at least in the elementary years, but I'm sure I don't have what it takes - a good reason to lean on the Lord!
Post a Comment