Saturday, September 29, 2007

Diabetes....

I found this little tid bit the other day in "Nourashing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. My sister in law is a diabetic and I found this very interesting info. Read on!

In The Saccharine Disease (1975), Cleave says the blame for prevalence of diabetes on the doorstep of refined carbohydrates. He acknowledges the genetic basis of the disorder but "rejects unequivocally" the assumption that this is a "defect". "The hereditary features of the disease...do no more than reflect the inheritance of personal build, including that of the pancreas itself, rendering the persons concerned more vulnerable to the new environmental factor...These features in no sense indicate hereditary defect...the body is not build wrongly but is being used wrongly." The more pronounced the genetic predisposition, according to Cleave, the earlier the onset of the disease, provided the triggering event occurs. In the industrialized society, the triggering event appears to be the overload of sugar, white flour products, white rice and precessed fruits and vegetables. "The consumption of refined carbohydrates...imposes unnatural strains upon the pancreas, either through over consumption, or ...rapidity of consumption and absorption, or...both." Joseph D. Beasley, MD and Jerry J. Swift, MA The Kellogg Report

Now, I've not researched the names of the writers nor the person quoted, but this really does make you wonder and question the "truth" behind mainstream health and our own eating habits as consumers. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Staci said...

I think it is just good ole' fashioned common sense that what we put in our body will affect our quality of life, and longevity.

Thanks for the comment on my blog.

Blessings!

Staci

Talena said...

Heya, Dawn. Thanks for posting this. We all need to do our part to get the truth out, eh?

Hope you are having a good Sunday! Love ya!

Tammy said...

Hey Dawn, interesting article. Last year I was diagnosed with 'pre-diabetes' which basically meant my sugars were high and that if I kept the my weight where it was at and what I ate the same, eventually I would have diabetes type 2. Since I have lost nearly 40lbs, my glucose and cholestrol are now back to normal and the tests say everything is fine in those departments. I do believe eating processed food does make a huge difference in your health and it's prudent to be aware of those types of food.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, I am still smoking but hoping to quit soon.

Love and hugs,
Tammy

Tammy said...

Hi Dawn, just a favour to ask. Can you change the link on your site, that links to mine, and call it "got Jesus?" instead of 'jesusrulesforever'.

Thanks cousin,
love Tam

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven