Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Beat that Bug!

Well tonight has not turned out at all the way I thought it would to say the least! Instead of rushing off to play soccer an hour and half away from here, I sit at the computer desk, hot tea in hand, warm fuzzy blanket wrapped around my shoulders, trying to shake off an ensuing cold. You know, in the past I probably would have popped some synthetic cold tablets, eaten something sugary for quick energy, tied on my cleats and run off to play. But not today. Today I chose to stay at home and kick this bug. My choice led me to think, am I getting wiser with age or just lazy. I choose the first, though the latter may hold somewhat more truthful.

I recently read an article in Readers Digest about the notion of people no longer taking sick days from work. (As a stay at home mom, ya right!!!) The author wrote about how many people in the corporate and blue collar world simply refuse to take a sick day(s) for lack of confidence in their job security. Others are simply driven by the almighty dollar, even when on salary. And still others feel they can cope with illness at work, though they really should stay home. Countless books, magazine articles and even mainstream health professionals agree that staying home for one or two days to better ones health is a far better idea than going into the office to perform at mediocre levels and spread germs. Perhaps the biggest kicker is the fact that what ever cold or flu you're trying to get rid of will take up to twice as long to get rid of without proper rest. What more evidence do we need?

As for me, I will sit here at the computer while my husband lovingly tucks the kids into bed. (I am so blessed to have Michael!) I will click away at the keyboard while the supper dishes, lunches yet to be made and stack of laundry stare at me from across the room. (They can wait until tomorrow, except the lunches.) And I will not regret that I missed one night of soccer. (Next weeks game is against an easier team anyway.) Cheers and stay well!

5 comments:

Talena said...

Ooo. I hope you're feeling better today. The oil of oregano must've faltered, eh?

Dawn said...

Actually, I've not been so faithful in taking it at night, there's so little left in my old bottle and the new one's not here yet. I need to order more efficiently, like before one runs out. Has your book arrived yet?

Angela Fehr said...

It never occurred to me to work when I was sick, but I remember one coworker telling me she couldn't afford to take a sick day - which was too bad, since then all the rest of the staff gets infected...

Thankful for Wade's sick pay - if he takes a sick day he isn't out a day's pay.

We've had a lot of trouble with colds this year and I think I just had one (hard to tell with hay fever in full swing.)

Lisa said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Tammy said...

Hello Dawn, hope you are feeling better soon, colds and flus are not fun at all.

God bless our husbands, they are Godsent for sure and I know with my Brian he picks up on everything when I am not able.

Praying that you will feel better soon, love to you and the family...Tammy

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven