
Conversation after watching Disney's new "Tinkerbell" movie:
"Are fairies real, Becca?"
Pause
"Nope. Only in books, and that movie mommy."
"Are you sure?"
"uh, YA!"
It never ceases to amaze me how well adults execute pretend play. Almost every month and depending on the ages of your kids, perhaps on a weekly basis. As today's title indicates, I'm talking about those adults who play up all the imaginary characters of the seasons. Christmas, of course, Santa. February, cupid. March, the leprechauns of Ireland. April, the Easter bunny. There's a five month break over the summer season, then right back into the pretending at Halloween. If you've got school aged kids, somewhere in there they'll loose a tooth or two, collecting $$ from the Tooth Fairy.
We've never "done" the whole believe in imaginary gift givers thing, until our eldest lost his first tooth. I must admit, I played tooth fairy for the first couple of pearly whites. Not sure why, maybe guilt, because we tell them there's no Santa or Easter bunny. Anyway, I was gripped by the conviction that I was willfully deceiving my kid. For the sake of watching his eyes light up in awe and wonder...at the possibility of there being something out there that knows him and his teeth and cares enough to leave a gift. I love the imaginations kids have, I love that they see things a little differently than we adults do. And I love to pretend play with them. However, there's something different I want their eyes to light up with awe at. Rather there's someone who I deeply desire them to know - the One who knows all about their teeth, the hairs on their heads, all their thoughts and desires. I need to help them unwrap those gifts they've been given, and help them really see just how valuable what they have is. So much more than a few coins under the pillow in the morning.
So, we no longer do the tooth fairy thing, they still get a few $$ in exchange for their teeth. What I'll do with those yucky little things I've no idea (kid-tooth necklace anyone?). We do make good use of all the discounted chocolate and stuff after all the hoopla of the major holidays. We do dress up, hide stuff to find as treasure hunters. We take the time to learn about the origins of celebrated holidays marked on the calender, mostly cuz I'm a geek that way and find it fascinating.
My hope and prayer is that while we're teaching and enjoying our kids that God's best for them will permeate their foundations. Not just because mom and dad said so, but because they know their Heavenly Father. I don't claim to be perfect, nor do I have the answers, so if you do, PLEASE tell me what you think. And have a happy March 17th!
6 comments:
Hi Dawn!
They are the All-American team basketballs from 1998 and 2000 that were personally autographed for my husband in Chicago.
Here's the link on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=270357107854
If that doesn't work, try searching ebay with "1998 2000 All American Team basketballs"
There is 1 day and 9 hours left.
Thanks!
I feel terrible, I left you a comment and didn't even bother to read your insightful post! No, we don't do bunnies but Santa lingered for awhile...guilty as charged. I guess it really depends on what you emphasize to your kids. Undortunately they are part of THIS world and will be exposed to characters like those mentioned. How about Mardi Gras? I like to call it "a celebrated event of self-debauchery." Hear the sarcasm?
Anyway, thanks for your post. FYI-the basketballs never sold, we still have them, do you want 'em? heehee
Dawn, that was very well said and I couldn't agree with you more.
I agree with you--we haven't dealt with the Tooth Fairy thing yet, as all my kids still have their original teeth. However, at each holiday, we talk about how they are commonly celebrated, then why we don't celebrate them that way (or at all.) We do play pretend lots, and maybe that's why I like to make my kids great costumes, because I want them to have lots of fantasy play, just not fantasy based on paganism or a lie their parents told them.
I'm totally into letting my kids imagine but not at the expense of the one who gave them the imagination. So, Christmas and Easter are about Christ, not the other guys. We celebrate St. Nicholas day but mainly but that's all the billing Santa get s and my babes know he is imaginary. At St. Patty's day we talk about the original St. Patrick and we drink green milk. At Valentines day I love on em a little bit extra and we do dress up for Halloween but for us it is a chance to get dressed up and get candy. That's it. We don't do witches and goblins and we don't give Satan any credit he doesn't deserve by saying that this day is all about him. It doesn't have to be. (That's my two cents.)
Thanks for all the input ladies. much appreciated. We're still working out the details on how to teach our wee ones what's real and important. But it is good to know there are others out there who are sifting thru the same stuff we are. Cheers!
Post a Comment