So I was about my regular business today, doing what I do, and a funny, strange, weird thing happened. I ran into an old friend of mine. At first I wasn't quite sure, you don't want to be one of those crazies who talks to everybody like you've been friends since grade school when you really don't actually know them. So I decided I'd better get a little closer just to be sure.
"Well, hey there you! How've you been?"
Silence.
"Wow, it's been a long time hey. Like eight or so years..." I sheepishly glance at the floor.
"Actually, make that more like nine years, too bad you can't count."
Ouch.
"So, have you seen anyone else we used to bounce with?"
"Ya, back there. And over here a little. We've been in hiding, remember?"
"Hiding?! Why on earth would you do that? That's crazy!"
"Well, Dawn, you inadvertently forced us into...hiding. But really we've been here all along."
"Oh. I'm so sorry."
"That's ok. Glad we're all moving in the same direction again."
"Ya, me too. Will I be seeing more of you?"
"If you're smart and quit being so lazy you will. And by the way, Heart says thanks for all the cardio lately."
Nice hey. That's all I got. My creative brain is on holidays I think. Or permanent hiatus. But I did indeed notice my waistline today for the first time in a long time. My real waistline, you know, the part that dips in (or at least is supposed to) a little just after the ribs and before the hips. I was shocked. Now at this point I know some of you will say WHO CARES! Well I do and this is my blog, right.
I've maintained the same body weight over the past few years after having my babies, but everything got all shifted around somehow in the delivery room. I'm certain the doctors were playing a practical joke and filling me with extra surgical sponges round about my belly, butt, and thighs. Not funny.
So I took action: I'm taking charge of what goes in and what I do with it in terms of my body. For the past four weeks I've been working out regularly (I've always been a runner, but 20-30 minutes on the treadmill seemed like enough and I'd eat what ever happened to find it's way into my mouth...) I'm also watching more closely what goes into that orifice I call pie-hole. (My curiosity about calories has turned into a bazaar little obsession - I figure out the calories of what I'm eating, decide to eat most things anyway, then do more mathematical calisthenics to figure out how many more minutes I need to run, how many more crunches or curls to do, leg lifts, etc. Sadistic, I know. But on the days that I'm feeling particularly lazy, I'll not have that jumbo chocolate muffin that is a whopping 690 calories...that's another 25.5 minutes of running!)
This all started when my dear sister in law announced here engagement - wedding to be THIS JULY. And I'm the maid of honor. And I have a ponch and saggy old lady arms. And I really couldn't tell where my legs ended and my butt began.(Secretly I blame her for this new madness going on.) SO.....
I now have a sore group of muscles almost everyday. I can tell you how many calories are in many foods. And I can measure out my proper portions sizes for meals with the palm of my hand (which I don't really do so much anymore, for some reason people look at you funny when you're at the buffet.) And I can count to eight three times in a row rhythmically and remember to breath while repeating sets of lifts, lunges and pulls.
Will it last? Can I keep it up? Will I meet any more long lost friends along the way? Time will tell. Maybe I'll make a new friend...Six pack! Well, lets not get our hopes up too high.
G'night.
3 comments:
That is pretty awesome, Dawn! I may hate you as well though!
How did you get started counting calories? I have no clue in that dept. and would like to have more of a general clue how many calories are in the fattening things I eat.
I have been pretty faithful to get my 20+ minutes on the elliptical but I don't think it's doing much - I do not have the time for more!
I actually got started counting calories while always checking the ingredient lists on packaged goods at the store. Not that we eat much of it, but it was the catalyst. I nearly fell over when I saw the amount of empty calories in stuff. Even condiments and the extras. It made me wonder if I could eat more efficiently. Be fuller on healthier stuff. (IE: fruit, veggies, baked instead of fried stuff - common sense stuff.) I added the free weights to the plan to help tonne and firm and it's also good to help build bone mass for all us aging women! :)
Hilarious conversation! Oo, we're both going to be so trim the next time we see each other! Bizarre how the body parts can be lost at the bazaar of food choices, hey?
(I'm not so much into the counting calories. Okay, not at all. I'm guessing that the amount of fat consumed on the Maker's Diet probably knocks out the RDA of calories by breakfast time. Oh, well. I'm happy, I'm full, and it's working.)
Post a Comment