Perhaps me not knowing it, the meals were quite rough.
Perhaps me not knowing it, they'd had quite enough
Of all these creations so weird and so strange.
Things I'd concocted on our far too hot range.
Or perhaps for science they came to the table
To dissect and test my "spoongoozits" and "snables".
More likely they were left starving from last nights
kerflop;
The orange and green mixture that bounced out of the pot.
"Please feed us some sustenance..." with their eyes they come pleading.
"We are your family you are supposed to be feeding!"
"Give us some water and bread and some carrots, we don't want dishes that look like nests of large ferrets!"
So what should I do but return to my cooking. (I'll slip in some sprouted grain when they're not looking.)
Oh they'll eat the fermented cabbage and greens--I'll bake them in cakes and grind in to ice-cream.
I have all these schemes but what should I say when my youngest inquires "Can I help you today?"
I'd love her to help but don't want her to see
All the things that I add, she's likely to flee.
What should I do, I can't turn her away.
I mustn't divulge my secrets, nay nay!
What should I tell her? What should I do?
What would you do if your daughter asked you....
"What's for supper mom?"
Perhaps me not knowing it, they'd had quite enough
Of all these creations so weird and so strange.
Things I'd concocted on our far too hot range.
Or perhaps for science they came to the table
To dissect and test my "spoongoozits" and "snables".
More likely they were left starving from last nights
kerflop;
The orange and green mixture that bounced out of the pot.
"Please feed us some sustenance..." with their eyes they come pleading.
"We are your family you are supposed to be feeding!"
"Give us some water and bread and some carrots, we don't want dishes that look like nests of large ferrets!"
So what should I do but return to my cooking. (I'll slip in some sprouted grain when they're not looking.)
Oh they'll eat the fermented cabbage and greens--I'll bake them in cakes and grind in to ice-cream.
I have all these schemes but what should I say when my youngest inquires "Can I help you today?"
I'd love her to help but don't want her to see
All the things that I add, she's likely to flee.
What should I do, I can't turn her away.
I mustn't divulge my secrets, nay nay!
What should I tell her? What should I do?
What would you do if your daughter asked you....
"What's for supper mom?"
4 comments:
I love your poem--reminiscent of Dr. Seuss!
Tricky question. Let me know if you figure out the answer!
Seus seems to be a favorite around here...
I let the kids help anyway, and really our meals aren't that bad, the picture of Becca did however, strike a funny in my little head, hence the poem.
Very funny, Dawn! Wade is less than adventurous in the meals department, so any changes I make happen VERY gradually. I love writing funny poems too but I don't think I could beat this one for wordplay & comedic genius!
Thanks Angela. It was a lot of fun to write. Funny what comes out of my brain on a whim sometimes!
Post a Comment