Outdoor skating rink package from Peavy Mart: $75.95
Three pairs of used skates : $60.00
One very memorable winter: priceless
............for everything else, you should work your butt off and save up! (though we have used our Master Card on occasion...)
Update: We've enjoyed a great break from the ordinary celebrating the season. Though we have made a point of explaining to the kids that our saviour was actually born some time in the fall (possibly Sept. or Oct.) and that Christmas as it stands today is little more than a pagan tradition set up long ago by the Roman empire now twisted into a hollow commercialism excuse to overspend, overeat and overindulge in the seasons festivities. I have found it rather amusing to watch our children's reactions to strangers and friends the like when they ask what Santa has brought our little ones for Christmas. I don't know what's funnier, the "I'm formulating the words to say" look on our two eldest faces, or the look of the asking adult apon their knowing reply. But all that aside, we have been enjoying sleeping in a little, visiting with family and friends both near and far and most of all doing a few "just our family" activities(my favorite being the evening spend reading the Velveteen Rabbit) that we seem to rush through or skip all together during our regular schedule. Monday summons the return of said regular schedule and already the kids (and me for that matter) are already groaning over the idea. I've the feeling that though our time spent with family and friends was enjoyable, we needed more time here at home, just us. It's just as well though, perhaps that will be the incentive to not over commit to every activity as we look forward to summer break. That is quite enough about me, how about you friend? How was your holiday and what was your highlight of the season?
4 comments:
Oh, Dawn, I loved your story. This has been the most interesting Christmas for us, too. Jude isn't confident enough to actually respond to that question--mostly my boys just smile shyly and giggle, and then if I deem it prudent, I quietly comment that we don't really "do" Christmas.
We let our kids watch "The Santa Clause" this year, but before we did, I made sure that Jude (being the only one who would) understood that Jesus was real, even if this wasn't really his birthday, but that Santa was pretend. But Santa (in his modern form) is a fun pretend. And not to tell any kid at school who thinks he's real that he's not! :-)
I've been wanting to do a post about the whole Christmas thing, but that may just have to wait another year. Just wasn't good timing this year. I'm just glad it's over--It always seems to accentuate just one more way that we don't fit in.
Miss you, friend. I've been thinking of you lots over the last week or so--will be giving you a call later in the week.
Love.
Thanks T. It seems there's always something we need to prepare our children for--mentally, emotionally but perhaps the hardest is spiritually. For me anyway. But praise be to the Lord that we can lean on Him for the answers our kids need!
Nice to hear from you again, Dawn. Is "The Velveteen Rabbit" really a good read - I missed it in childhood and always thought it sounded boring.
We "do Christmas" pretty traditionally here - too much family around to divert too radically from the norm. The best moments had to be listening to the girls reciting their poem for the church service at the seniors' centre in town, and even more so hearing them sing it (to their own tune) in the van on the way there!
Greetings to you again Angela! "The Velveteen Rabbit" is indeed a great story. Emotional and filled with amazing art work. I think you'd like it. Glad to hear you enjoyed your Christmas!
Post a Comment