Snow days. Beloved by students acquainted with this phrase; foreign to those not so blessed in warmer climes. Today was indeed a said snow day. (For those of you reading who may not know, a snow day is a day or event here in central Canada, Saskatchewan to be specific, on which due to freezing cold temperatures,blowing snow and blizzard like conditions, schools may be forced to close. Though our local schools where not closed, the buses that transport the rural students where not running therefore making today the first snow day of 2008 for this area. The temperature hovered around only eight degrees Celsius all day but did not however, make up for the 40km per hour wind and next to zero visibility. Glad my work is here at home; I'd hate to have to travel in such conditions.
We stayed warm and cozy in our humble abode, playing games, making crafts, sorting toys, baking, reading and finally watching a flick or two. One movie we watched today was Warner Brothers 1995 remake of "The Little Princess". And I have to tell you friends, if you have never seen it, please please please rush out and find it! It was fantastic! A great story about hope and friendship, love and the power of imagination. We laughed, we cried, it moved me Bob.
You may want to preview it before letting your wee ones watch, to later help explain the truth about "magic", but I would definitely recommend this one for the whole family. I loved it because it was very real and yet an inspiring escape from the doldrums of everyday life. You're certain to find yourself, as we were, swept up in the emotion and creativity of the story. Charming!
That being said, I think we may just watch it again sometime soon. Tell me what you think!
4 comments:
Snow days are so much fun!
We haven't seen The Little Princess--will add that one to my list.
Every day is a snow day here - the joys of homeschooling! Actually, I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to the sound of RAIN on the roof, and then at about 5:30 a.m. the phone rang! I stumbled up to answer and heard, "No buses today."
"Huh?"
"Do I have the wrong number?"
Well, at least I knew then that driving to town for my 6:00 a.m. swim was not a good idea!
The Little Princess is pretty good, saw part of it last year but I think that Samantha needs a couple of years before she can follow it.
Jo: snow days are fun! Let me know if you happen accross the original of the movie staring Shirley Temple.
Angela:Wake-you-up-in the middle of the night rain and 5:30am phone calls are simply wrong! (If ever we get a call past 11:00pm we jolt out of bed thinking someone's died. And too early summons slightly less jolting but the same terrible assumption.) The plot of the movie is kind of deep, I find I explain a lot while we're watching movies so the kids "get it".
You meant minus 8 degrees C, right?
I love love love The Little Princess. It has been one of my favourite movies for as long as it has been around, pretty much. Jude watched it once, and didn't really get it. Too much drama with not enough action, and he didn't have the "girly" genes to make the other parts appealing, so that one's going to have to stay mine-all-mine for a few more years. Not that I mind.
Love the VT reference! :-)
Post a Comment