So I attended my first birth the other day as an aspiring doula. And it was
FREAKING AWESOME MAN!!!
Ahem. Pardon me. As you can tell I still excited about it. I've been studying and preparing for births for some time now but like any other career in life, the schooling for it never quite fully prepares you for what you'll see and do. Now, you'd think having birthed three wee ones myself, I'd have experience to back me up. And while that is true, helping someone else birth their offspring is a whole other kettle of fish.
I can not however, give you any info. in great detail, that would be a breech of confidentiality on my part. But I will tell you that the female human body is something amazing to watch in live action. The female mind, when focused and determined is a powerful force. And those two working together to bring forth this miracle we call life is simply amazing. It's nothing like what you see on t.v., well, perhaps for a few ladies. But really, the whole thing was very surreal. Quieter and more peaceful than I'd remembered of my own three times at it, but perhaps the unsteadiness I remember was more internal. Emotions and thoughts trapped in my own head and not neccessarily heard out loud. As this babe was born into a very peaceful, beautiful energy, the room hushed in anticipation of who would emerge. With tears of joy, I feel very privileged and humbled to have witnessed one of life's most amazing happenings...the beginning of life outside the womb.
2 comments:
Hi, Dawn. This sounds sooooo cool. I'm so excited that you are doing this!
Last night, a few of my "group" and I went to the Simply Essentials tour in Little Rock. Very cool to go to a YL-sponsored event, even if it was only an introductory one. Free lemon oil, too! :-D
This birth experience story reminds me of a story Gary Young tells on the teaching CD about 12 Oils of Ancient Scripture, when he anointed his newborn son with Frankincense all over, and the umbilical cord and the crown of his head with Myrrh, and just the feeling and experience that surrounded everyone in the room. Do you, or will you, incorporate the oils into the birthing process?
I would love to!! If couples I help are interested, I am more than willing to help them learn about the oils. Most hospitals are scent free zones but many doulas get around that by mixing the oils with a carrier oil so the scent isn't quite so strong. Great for you that you were able to attend a YL event! Free lemon is always cool!
Post a Comment