Saturday, November 15, 2008

Doulas in Saskatchewan

So, of course life is always busy. For some busier than others. But in the midst of hecticness (yes I know that is not a real word) I have but a moment to share with you what I have been up to the past little while. I am studying to become a doula.

Doula is a greek word meaning, in short, to mother mothers. In the past for most cultures birth is looked upon as a natural and safe process in which life is brought forth. The birthing mothers own mother, sisters, aunts and other women in the tribe/town/ city/ area attended the births helping and encouraging her as she labored and delivered her child. However, since the industrial revolution and the promotion of the age of scientific medicine, we no longer see the support women so badly need at such a vulnerable time. Instead we have placed the emotional responsibility solely on the backs of fathers to help their loved ones, expecting them to know how to help a laboring mom. We've expected the fathers to "keep it all together and help her" when they don't even know how to process birth process themselves. All the birthing books and resources in the world are meaningless when the reality of labor smacks you in the face at 3:00am when a mother feels defeated after having labored for 21 hours with little progress.

To aid the situation (rather to complicate things) science and medicine have worked hand in hand to "help" mothers by offering, sometimes pressuring, the administration of a myriad of medical interventions. The overuse of pain medications in labor and delivery have been scientifically proven to add to post birth complications for both mother and babe. NOTE: Some labors do require medical intervention and some women do in fact need "the drugs" but there seems to be a key element missing in the whole process that has not been addressed by our health systems as we know it. WOMEN DO NOT NEED TO FEAR THE NATURAL BODILY FUNCTION OF GIVING BIRTH. So much of what we do to intervene is done out of fear. Fear of pain, the duration of the laboring, health and wellness of mother and babe, the list goes on. With all of our amazing health science and technology we have forgotten about one very important thing--the emotional well being of the mother. Again, science has proven what nature already decided--our minds and emotions effect what happens in our bodies. With a little movement and technique and a whole lot of constant emotional care and listening for both mom and dad, every birth can be a positive life changing experience. That's where a doula can help.

Having birthed three of my own children, the experience I've gained has given me a few tools to be able to help other moms. And now in addition to that, the training I'm taking thru DONA International will greater expand my ability to help others as a certified doula. It would be a shame to not pass along a bit of what I've learned to others just starting out on their family journey. To hear a bit more about doulas follow this link. If I can help even one mom out there, it's all worth it. Love and hugs friends.

6 comments:

Angela Fehr said...

Dawn, that is so great! I have a friend here in Dawson who would love to become a doula or a midwife, too.

I had my three naturally and I totally get what you are saying about fear being the most crippling part for most women. I was able to accept the process and it was so much easier to do knowing what was happening was "right."

Lisa said...

That is awesome! I've never experienced having a doula, but it sounds like it would be a very beneficial thing for the moms. Blessings to you in this new endeavor!

Dawn said...

Thanks for your encouragement Angela and Jo. Since embarking on this journey, I've unearthed a whole group of healthful minded people (who for some reason remain quite silent in this community) to come along side on this adventure. Exciting!

Scrapnqueen said...

Hey, Dawn! I am so excited about this. How are things progressing? When will you be finished your training?

Of all the people I know, you are one of the first that pops into my mind as someone who would be a great doula. It seems like such a perfect fit for you.

Luv you.

Dawn said...

Thanks Talena! I'm planning to be done the "paper work" part of my course by the end of December then I need to do some birth observations and then some evaluations done thru public health. Busy but good.

Gentle Births Doula said...

Hey Dawn....just came across your blog and I'm wondering where in Saskatchewan you work. Just curious as I'm a doula in Sask. as well.

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven