Friday, April 27, 2007

Busy, ever so busy

So here's what I (we) have been up to, you know, instead of blogging:
  1. Readying our yard and garden for planting.
  2. Researching plants, organics and healthful ways to be "greener".
  3. Scouting out resources for healthy living (raw milk, organic grain, grinders, honey, soap, meat, etc)
  4. Reading many blogs and web pages about all that.
And other day to day stuff:
  1. we changed a toilet, which was really fun. ya. But we did replace the old with a new 6 litre and got rid of the old half a barrel of water waste receptacle we used previous. Man that's a lot of wasted water.
  2. I've been child minding a friends kid who is the same age as Sarah...adds an interesting dynamic and energy to our days.
  3. Running...if you could call it that, though I do have big plans. So far just a 15 min. run every day this past week (with out walking or stopping...oh shut up you marathon runners!) but I'm going to lengthen it gradually. Surprisingly I'm enjoying it more than I did back in my glory days!
Things I'd like to do sooner rather than later:
  1. read up on planting a herb garden and how to store for winter.
  2. finish painting the interior. yikes!
  3. spread compost--so excited, a neighbor we share part of our creek with has a whole pile of black gold in his yard (composted matter) that they just want to get rid of. It really is like hitting the jackpot!
That's all. Any suggestions? Ideas are welcomed!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Hey Dawn, wow, you have been busy LOL! I like the idea #2, 3 in the first section. Since Brian and I have been together we have had a full veggie/herb garden every summer. I do a lot of blanching of our favourite veggies, like swiss chard and keep frozen for winter. This year I am going to try and dehydrate the herbs to makes teas and for cooking. I have an idea for you - buy those newer lightbulbs (the curly kind) that are flourescent and are way less wattage. We have changed all bulbs in our place. I guess every little thing counts. You sound very organized in your lists. Good for you for helping our precious earth that God gave us to take care of. Love Tammy :-)

Dawn said...

Thanks Tammy! We really are trying to be wise stewards of what we've been given. Though I must admit, it is a challenging way to live. But it's worth it to be healthy, to have healthy kids and a healthy earth.Thanks for the ideas!

Lisa said...

You have definitely been busy! Those sound like some really good, energizing activities. Will you be planting a big garden?

Talena said...

Ironically, the same week I blogged about how many plastic bags I could save by switching to cloth, Extra Foods started selling cloth grocery bags for 99 cents. Thank you, Lord! Made it pretty easy to switch.

We have had numerous toilet issues here--can totally relate.

And your running has inspired me to get my butt going on what I decided to start doing two weeks ago but haven't yet--skipping for five minutes a day. I figure--Hey, it's only five minutes. Yet, somehow, I haven't "found" the time for it yet! Lazy, Talena, Lazy!

Sounds like life is exciting, as usual!

Love & Miss you!

Dawn said...

Jo: yes, we plan to plant quite a bit, though I'm not sure how much we'll need to last the winter if we store up all our own frozen veggies, etc. The next few years will be a very big learning experience and I plan to log it all in my "gardening journal".

Talena: good for you--skipping is a great way to build up some cardio strength. It's definately hard to grab that bit of time to just do it, hard for me to set aside the other million things that need to be done. Worth it though. Miss you!

Unknown said...

15 minutes straight is still impressive!

I've been working on my herb garden the past couple of years. And I get to dole out herbs to friends every fall too, which I love being able to do!

We need to reduce our water usage too, but I'm thinking of just doing the good old rock in the bottom trick. :)

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven