Saturday, April 24, 2010

Let me off this Merry-Go-Round

Ever heard that saying, generally spoken of small towns strewn about across the prairies, "If you blink you'll miss it."? That's sort of how life has been around here lately. I've been working at both schools lately which makes life hectic on any day, but paired with school meetings, piano recital and festival, selling a house, and of course the arrival of spring (ie: a half acre yard needing to be raked, trees trimmed, plant beds cleaned, and a whole shwack of work)...all that makes my little head spin.


While zipping around the other day it occurred to me that my van had enough "emergency" provisions in it to feed, clothe and entertain a small nation. I realized that for more than a couple of weeks my kids, who are the type that truly need their sleep, had been going to bed late and getting up early resulting in a terrible chronic grouchiness. Left over left-overs were becoming the norm and I hadn't actually cleaned the bathroom properly, just those quick once overs with the t.p. around my porcelain friend to catch the hair and fuzz. I've spent more time cleaning (well, you know, wiping) sorting, raking, piling, driving and waiting in lines than I've spent with my family lately. Granted we do most of this stuff together, but it's becoming exhausting trying to make all this work "fun" for the kids. And they're not appreciating all this, er, fun to be had.

I know there are busy seasons in life and down times as well. This week has far fewer commitments which I'm grateful for. I don't know how people live like that all the time. I enjoy having my time at home. I like having time to clean properly. Well planned meals are so much more enjoyable than something thrown together spur of the moment 'cuz eggs, spaghetti and sour crout don't really go together all that well. There's a huge difference in the mood around our house when I take the time to spend with the kids reading, playing or even just talking. I feel like I can do climb Mt. Everest when hubby and I can sit for even 10 minutes and encourage one another. In those busy times I feel pulled in so many directions that it becomes harder and harder to really listen to my Heavenly Father. And then I just feel plain guilty for not having the time for everything. For anything. Especially the important stuff.

Sometimes I envy Moses when he was out in the dessert tending to the sheep. Sure it was hot and dusty. And perhaps the sheep were a little ornery at times. I would be too if I had to wear wool all year long. But it was likely quiet. There was likely time to just sit and think. Time to poke around at the plants at your feet. Time to really engross yourself in conversation if someone happened by or brought you lunch. (Did they do that back then? I dunno.)

I think the song writer Chris Rice has a song with something to the effect that we're all given the same commodity in the same amount. The same 24 hours for each day. How we spend our time costs us and we end up with less to spend else where. I'll post the song here if I come across it again.

So, I'm done for now. How's your busy life? I pray you've time to enjoy His blessings.

2 comments:

Angela Fehr said...

Thanks for sharing this, Dawn. I just came off a busy month - adding swimming lessons into the schedule meant we were eating out a lot more often, and home less!
Sometimes I feel like I am failing when it comes to making the most of my life - I want to add more fun, excitement, vacations! But I think what I need instead is to live the moment that I am given, and that's more lasting, though not as fun as planning a trip or an outing!

Doug said...

I think of a time that Moses was actually quite busy. His father in-law came to visit and noticed that Moses was the only one sitting as judge for the people. He mentioned that Moses was going to wear himself out if he didn't delegate some of the responsibility.

I long for a simpler life not quite so busy, maybe like Moses we just have to be able give some stuff up.

Tina

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven