Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Talk about awkward...

Here's a little snippet from my too-busy-to-blog-'cause-it's-summer life for ya.

Last week my eldest child and I were car pooling with the soccer coach and her family to an away soccer game. Nice people, our boys are friends, she totes the jerseys, I bring the sack of soccer balls. It's all good. Along the way we were chit chatting about this and that when the topic of fishing comes up. We love to fish as do they, but we've never ventured out together. Suddenly their son pipes up, "You should come out to Waterhen Lake with us when we go on our big group fishing trip! D'ya wanna?"

At this point, I feel you should know that these are not regular get your hands dirty, sweat a little in the sun, sleep on the ground, camping type of people. These are people with a whole lot of money and a whole group of friends in the same fishing boat. With 100ft. motor homes. SUV's. Gigantic fishing boats. $$$$$. A clique, of which we aren't really a part of in any way shape or form. It's a fact and we're ok with that. (You learn early on who you can and can't hang out with when you live in a small town.) We really are alright with the fact that they've got their friends and we won't likely cross over to "that side" short of a few hundred thousand $smackers$. REally, it's ok. It was just a tiny bit awkward though, when their kid asked if we'd come on their exclusive fishing trip. He's obviously oblivious to the societal hierarchy that maps out our place in this area. He has no idea that unlike his parents, we do have to watch our pennies, a big trip like that with all the frills could really break our bank. (Especially this summer with M's sister getting married and I'm the matron of honor, and our dresses and suits are costing a mint, and the showers and...that's better left for another time!)

Anyway, what did I say in return? Something like, "Uhhh, well...I dunno..." And we left it at that with a bit of awkward silence for what seemed an eternity. Lucky for me, the crisis was averted by a giant pot hole in the road to swerve around followed by the delightful banter between the two boys over who squished who just then when the vehicle bounced out of danger. Sigh. Ignorance is bliss yet again.

I'll let you know if they do actually invite us. But don't hold your breath. Cheers!

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

You cracked me up with your comments! Yeah, stinky jerseys, oh well. I am still in website chaos and wish I never never said "I'll manage your website honey, so I can stay home and not work at the nursing home." At least there, I knew what I was getting! In cyberspace I am sooo lost! Here are terms I am hearing, but don't know what they mean: configure, ftp, 3rd party software, download links, seo spiders...and on and on. But hey, every time tech support puts me on hold, I do dishes, I dust, I feed my kid a snack, I pick up...still accomplishing something I guess! Take care Dawn!

Suzanne said...

You cracked me up with your comments! Yeah, stinky jerseys, oh well. I am still in website chaos and wish I never never said "I'll manage your website honey, so I can stay home and not work at the nursing home." At least there, I knew what I was getting! In cyberspace I am sooo lost! Here are terms I am hearing, but don't know what they mean: configure, ftp, 3rd party software, download links, seo spiders...and on and on. But hey, every time tech support puts me on hold, I do dishes, I dust, I feed my kid a snack, I pick up...still accomplishing something I guess! Take care Dawn!

Dawn said...

Working from home is great when you've got little ones around. Me only help regarding those non-human terms you listed is GOOGLE! I google everything. And tech-support knows me by name I'm sure! Oh well. Thanks for stopping by!

Angela Fehr said...

Suzanne - I have the exact same feeling about web design. I am stumbling around RIGHT NOW trying to find an image gallery script I can actually interpret. Cause the last one I found? Not so much.

Dawn - you are back! And you know you could always come fish with us. We neither fish nor have a boat but we might be able to help you find a lake around here! :)

Also, we are talking about coming to Saskatchewan in early July. You guys gonna be around? Cause I am scheduling in an overnight stop if at all possible!!

Dawn said...

Angela, we'd love to coming fishing out in your neck of the woods. I personally think it's time for a road trip touring out that way. We do have family sort of along the way.
M's sister is getting married on the 11th of July, we'll likely leave on the Thursday just before and get home early to mid-week following. But that's all we have planned for July. We LOVE to have you guys overnight!!! There'd be so much more time to catch up and play with the kids!!

Scrapnqueen said...

Hmm... good luck with that! I love that kids don't get the social class thing. To them, everyone is just the same. Too bad more adults didn't see it that way, eh? Even if a fishing trip isn't in the cards, something more affordable as a social gathering might be...

If you come out this way, you know you're going to have to stop in P.R., too, right?

Congrats to S on getting hitched!

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven