Thursday, July 26, 2007

And I Quote...

I've become quite aware of the fact that over the course of a conversation I quote a varied number of people, books, magazines, t.v. shows and even my kids. However, my quotes are often lacking in accuracy as to who said what or where this information was gathered from or when. I generally quote to verify or intensify a conversation, or to add interest to what is being said. Many people do, but I think in the future I may pay closer attention to the details of the source, so as to not end up like the cartoon character Satchel whom you can see HERE. Go ahead. Look it up, you'll have a good laugh and then you'll know what I'm talking about...

2 comments:

Talena said...

Hey, Dawn! Couldn't figure out for a while why the comic didn't seem pertinent until I realized I was looking at Saturday's, not Friday's which you had intended.

Funny. And true. I always kick myself later when I discover how badly I have misquoted someone or how inaccurately I have relayed information. At that point all you can say is: "DOH!"

Angela Fehr said...

I just finished a biography of Marie Antoinette - apparently the "Let them eat cake" quote that is attributed to her isn't actually hers. Which is funny cause that was the only thing I knew about her before reading the biography.

I just want to know how I can make my own famous quote!

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven