Monday, May 14, 2007

Eat your lawn, I say!

Today, for the first time ever, we, my family and I, tried something new to tantalize our taste buds and expand our culinary eating experiences. A dish with a very different flavor yet strangely satisfying but leaving you wanting to have some more. "Did I actually eat that and did it actually taste that good?" I know the suspense is killing you, so I'll tell you what we consumed...dandelions. Right off of our own front (and back, and side, there's a lot of green out there you know) lawn. I picked and washed them, fried them in a bit of butter and fresh crushed garlic and sprinkled with sea salt. They were amazing! Very buttery and not at all like that bitter taste the plant milk leaves in your mouth. The kids even tried them, their friends actually did too and thought they were quite tasty and little Becca wouldn't leave me alone until I'd given her a few more. Now, if you're going to try this, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure you don't pick dandelions that may have been sprayed.
2. What you pick and think is lots actually cooks down to be about 1/4 of it fresh volume, so pick a few extra so you've enough for everyone.
3. These are meant to be a side dish or garnish, not a whole meal in itself. Though not proven, they may act as a diuretic. Not so good.
4. Know that while consuming these vitamin packed little blossoms, you are also controlling the "weed problem" in your yard. Though after trying this little recipe, you may want to encourage those little yellow treats to grow. Besides, the leaves can be used in salads...fresh greens bought at the store can cost an arm and a leg, and many high end restaurants actually serve them in their fancy dishes!

Anywho, that's all for tonight! Happy picking, don't eat too many and if you don't like them, well, that's just too bad for you!

P.S. I'm up to 20-25 minutes running now. I clock it with our van odometer and I'm travelling about 4.5 km in that amount of time. Yes, I am excited...Boston Marathon here I come. Well, not right away, silly. Ok,... good night!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

We like dandelions too! I haven't tried them with garlic--will have to try that. My two youngest keep coming in with handfuls of them and asking me to cook them for supper :). It doesn't seem to have made a dent in the dandelion population in our yard, though, unfortunately...

Talena said...

I've made dandelion leaves before, but am I to understand that you fried the heads? That sounds interesting.

And how about dandelions that have been trampled all over by playing children. Are these still okay to eat? :-) Just curious, of course!

Hope you had fun at your soccer game tonight, you exercise fiend, you!

Talena said...

And YES, I'm going to bed, RIGHT NOW! (11:32 my time.)

Tammy said...

Dandelions, cool, and a very creative way to use those happy bright flower's leaves. I have always thought dandelions had a bad reputation, people call thems pest, weeds, and a few other choice words. But I always thought they were such happy, colourful bursts of sunshine in your yard, park or sidewalk.

God created them for a reason and I don't think it was for us to spray and kill them. Kudos to you Dawn for picking them and making them sound delicious. There is also dandelion wine, which I have never tried, but have heard it is quite a lovely wine.

Great to hear you are up to 20-25 mins running. You go girl. I am now up to 18 mins on my bike, which six months ago I was sitting my wheelchair. Thank God for healing me and inspiring us to take care of our bodies.

By the way, I am now 3 days into my smoke free life, thanks for the prayers, they have definitely been answered.

As always, lots of love to you and your family, and God's blessings - Tammy

Dawn said...

Jo:Isn't it great that kids really enjoy the "work" of picking those little treats? They seemingly never tire of it, though I must admit mine were a little apprehensive of mommy cooking their freshly picked bouquet!

Talena: yes, fry their little heads...the dandelions, I mean. Trampled or no, they'll probably taste the same, just look slightly flatter.

Tammy: Great to hear you're building up endurance on your bike! Good for you! I will continue to pray for God's strength for you as you press toward you smoke free goal!

Rohini said...

Dandelions! I've never eaten a flower before. Don't think they grow in India though

Dawn said...

Don't grow in India...what a shame! They are considered a noxious weed here, but after all, are weeds just "unloved flowers"? Thanks for dropping by!

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven