Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hot Cofee

My coffee cooleth on yonder black oak desk...

As I sit my mind doth wonder,
the next awaiting task my brain doth ponder

Shall I switch the laundry wet?
Or shall I thee the frozen supper get?

Though dust doth surround this dim lit room,
the task at hand may be to vacuum.

All this to be done while the sweet ones rest,
for I the clean freak mother of this nest
want a clean house, though my husband protest.

What futility it will seem when life's end comes,
to be worried and busied by the so easily undone.

But for now I will sit and drink my coffee...

4 comments:

Talena said...

For some reason, reading this I saw Alice with her hands folded neatly in front of her, reciting:

"How doth the little crocodile Improve his shining tail, And pour the waters of the Nile On every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, How neatly spread his claws, And welcome little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

I'm not sure what brought this to mind--must be the Shakespearean English in verse.

Strangely, though, Alice quoted poetry whenever she was trying to make herself feel "back to normal," and always got it quite wrong. Whether it was the poetry writing, or the coffee, I hope your little break helped you attack the mundane of your daily tasks with less of a sense of futility clouding your brain. This poem totally made me laugh, btw.

Talena said...

Look at you with the links! You're going to be the new reigning HTML queen, soon, aren'cha?

Dawn said...

Thanks Talena!
I had a great day yesterday, by the way. I just thot it funny to have the opportunity to choose between house work and sitting for a bit. something I quite enjoyed doing midway thru the day. And I'm still learning how to link, add feeds and all that good stuff. Your blog has been so inspiring!

Shaun said...

Dawn, I saw your post on my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Anyone who drinks hot coffee is ok in my books. ;-)

Link away...

"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven