Saturday, November 28, 2009
A recent trip to the optometrist found me staring blankly at a prescription for glasses. Stunned, I fumbled my way through the many shapes, shades and styles of frames and lenses. To be quite honest, I wasn't all that surprised. I'd been having trouble reading stories to the kids at bed time lately, passing it off as just being tired. Turns out I just needed a couple of pieces of glass on my nose. In my defense, I've had 20/20 vision all my life, until now. I keep telling myself that they're only for reading, and working at the computer, and evening driving. They still feel weird on my face but I've learned a little lesson on sight and perception.
I believe that every physical happening carries with it a spiritual parallel. I can indeed see better with the new spectacles. No doubt about it. However, I didn't actually realize just how much I needed glasses, how much better I was able to see with them, until I got a little uncomfortable and put them on. Duh. But it's like that with our faith in God too. You go about life doing good, what you know our Heavenly Father has set you off to do. But somewhere along the way our vision becomes ever so slightly blurred or altered or because of age, somehow deteriorates. I know I become discouraged because of fatigue, circumstances, an ill spoken word meant as advice and sometimes for now apparent reason at all.
As of late, my spiritual eyes have been opened to some ugly stuff. At first it's easy to point a judgemental finger in blame but then I realize that I'm doing the very same thing. Oh ya, I'm guilty of laziness, half truths, idolatry, doubt, and whole list of garbage I know very well I shouldn't be a part of.
My little peepers have also been opened to how I've let myself be sucked into traditions and patterns of this world. It's so easy to bet distracted - I like bright shiny things, loud noises and lots of people. In stepping back a bit, the Lord has also revealed things for what they really are. Well, as much as I can handle anyway. Good thing He's gracious and patient.
SO anywho, sorry for the heavy but hey, that's where I'm at right now. Lots of brain things going on. Life is otherwise good. How could it not be...we are so blessed! I'm always so encouraged to hear from you friends, and if you're a lurker, stop and leave a note. It's rude to stand at the window just staring in.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or valuable possession than time." Ludwig van Beethoven

5 comments:
You know I'm not a lurker! :) I like that, your analogy. Also about being distracted by the world of shiny things (sounds like a dog!) I decided to back away from watching the news, for awhile, I began ranting and raving and stressing out!
I do not like that I will also have to get glasses! My 5 year old will put stuff in my face to see and I have to pull it away so it isn't blurry! I'm getting old.
Hang in there! Next week I'm doing my first giveaway, you have to enter to get this awesome devotional book!
Love your post. It's a place that God keeps bringing me back to, too--that part about showing me where I need to re-align my vision. It's tough, though, isn't it? To see things clearly in a world gone blurry? To try and live by the sight you've been given afresh, when everyone is convinced that Blurry Is Better?
Okay, so maybe I'm looking at it from a slightly different angle. But this time of year is always particularly bad for me--meaning, I always feel so very, very different, and I hate being the one people look at with shocked faces every time someone asks if we are ready for Christmas, and I calmly tell them that yes, since we don't celebrate it, it's very easy to be ready.
You know what I mean?
Suzanne: I agree...thirties do feel old sometimes!
Talena: Totally get that! There are definately certain times of the year that we feel like oddballs as well. Christmas is one of them. Are you celebrating Chanukkah this year?
Hi, Dawn!
Yep, this is day 2 of our second year of celebrating it. We made our own Hannukiah's out of modeling clay for a craft yesterday. It was fun! Haven't had latkes, yet--maybe tomorrow. My mouth is watering just thinking of it!
Sorry I missed you today. Hope you had fun at the movies, though! Love ya!
So it's been over a year since I've left a comment....I am good, working hard and loving and playing hard. Im sorry for the absence, but know this, I am just leaving this note if you ever want to contact me to open the lines of communication between just me and your immediate family, really immediate.
My email is stargraphics@shaw.ca and btw "Jesus rules forever podcast" is not happening and 'jesusrulesforever' is not either.
I now have the newest blog: http://www.the-c2c.blogspot.com
I am glad you post a blog, as I get to stay in touch with one person in my estranged family.....
Take care, I hope we can converse sometime..
Love and God bless,
Tam
xooo
Post a Comment